As we begin another week of social distancing, you may be looking for some ways to limit your kids’ screen time. We’ve compiled some fun ideas to keep your family smiling at home! And remember, even though our office is temporarily closed, we are here for you. Call us if you have any emergency orthodontic problems. We will be checking our messages frequently.
- Thank our everyday heroes. Encourage your kids to draw pictures or write letters of thanks that you can hand out later to doctors, nurses, or grocery store workers.
- Play sports to keep your kids active. Just make sure they wear a mouthguard if they are playing a sport that has a risk of tripping, falling, or getting hit with a ball.
- Read a book. Help support local authors and boost your child’s reading skills. We recommend the following!
- Love STEM and women’s history? Check out one of Suzanne Slade’s picture books. We recommend Dangerous Jane, the story of the first woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize, and A Computer Called Katherine, the story of how Katherine Johnson, an African-American mathematician, helped NASA put a man on the moon!
- Ready for a fun mystery adventure? Check out Blue Balliett’s art mystery novel, Chasing Vermeer, which is set in Chicago.
- Looking for an inspiring true story? Fern Schumer Chapman’s award-winning YA novel tells the story of a Jewish girl’s escape to the United States during World War II.
- Play board or card games. Enjoy family game night and keep things exciting by trying out a new game each week!
- Create a chore chart. Encourage helpful behavior at home—just be sure to include “chores” like proper brushing and flossing!
Want more fun tips, practice updates, as well as videos and pictures from our team? Follow us on social media (@pborthodontics). And, from all of us at Petty & Bielik Orthodontics, we hope you are staying healthy and well!