Happy New Year from our team here at Petty & Bielik Orthodontics! We can hardly believe it’s 2020. A new year means a fresh start, and the perfect opportunity to revamp your oral hygiene routine. Cleaning your teeth should always be a top priority, but it’s particularly important if you have braces. Here are some simple New Year’s resolution suggestions to help you achieve a healthy and happy mouth in 2020:
1. After every meal, brush your teeth. If you have braces, it’s incredibly important that you’re working hard to keep those teeth clean and healthy. The wires and brackets of your braces tend to trap food debris, and, if these food particles are not washed away, it can cause plaque to develop on the teeth. This will result in cavities and can even discolor your teeth. We strongly suggest that you brush your teeth at the end of every meal. Not only will it keep your breath fresh, but it will also keep your braces and teeth pristine and healthy.
2. Remember to hydrate. Water is one of the simplest ways to keep your mouth clean and body healthy. Water helps to irrigate the mouth, rinsing away food debris. Invest in a water bottle this year and commit to making 2020 the year of hydration.
3. Follow our instructions. If your orthodontist has asked you to wear a particular kind of headgear, rubber bands, or retainer—please listen! If we ask you to do something, it’s because it’s vital for your orthodontic treatment. We want you to complete your treatment in a timely fashion, and we’re sure that you do, too. It is important to follow instructions if you want 2020 to be the year that you get your braces off!
4. If you play sports, get a mouthguard. Any time you’re at practice or playing a game, you should be wearing a mouthguard. If you have braces, you’re at an increased risk for experiencing a mouth injury (the abrasive edges of your brackets and wires can cut your inner mouth severely upon impact). A mouthguard is a simple solution that can save you from a lot of dental pain!
5. Commit to smart retainer habits. If you have your braces off, make 2020 the year that you practice good retainer habits. That means wearing your retainer each and every night. If you don’t, you risk your teeth shifting back into their original positioning. Don’t waste the hard work and time you’ve invested in your orthodontic treatment—2020 should be a year of progress!
Keep your teeth and braces clean and healthy this year by committing to these simple resolutions. And, for more personalized braces care information, call our office.